Thursday, August 9, 2012

Another Take on the Usefulness of Social Media for self published authors

Ewan Morrison has an interesting article on The Guardian: Why Social Media Isn't the Magic Bullet for Self-epublished Authors. 

There are some rather startling statistics like this one: A pizza joint in New Orleans hit 70,000 people with a Facebook ad and picked up ONE new customer. And this one: Only 70 self-epublished authors in the world in 2011 sold more than 800 ebooks a month.

If you want people to buy your book, then you need marketing techniques that are going to work. I think it's an interesting article and well worth your time to read and think about. You can find it here.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking this. Diana. It will be interesting to see how social media pans out as a force for marketing, not only for e-publishers, but in general. I've been wondering for some time what the bevy of FB "likes" that some sites and businesses generate really mean in terms of sales. It seems that people on my FB friends list will "like" anything from wal-mart (really!) to some local bakery. But do they actually shop at these places and does their liking them entice anyone else to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more and more people will come to realize that social media isn't the best method for marketing and those sites will go back to what they were originally intended for: people connecting with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing. My gym has a sign up now asking its members to "like" it on FB. I did not join my gym because a friend liked it on FB, nor would I change gyms because one got more likes than mine does. The reason I joined this gym is actually quite simple: it's right down the street from me and my husband was already going there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's really absurd is to see "like us on facebook" on a bag of potato chips.

      Delete