Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Only Reason You Need to Write

I was surfing through the links on Nathan Branford's blog and I came across 101 Reasons to Stop Writing. So, being the curious person that I am, I went and took a look at it. It's rather interesting. Though, I will forewarn you that it hasn't been updated in over a year and there are only seventeen reasons posted.

Still it's interesting.

And it got me to thinking. There is really only one good reason to write and it's the only one that you need. You write because your fingers itch to put the story circling around in your head down on paper. And nothing will stop that itch except putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. Even if you knew that no one would ever read the story, you would still write it.

Of course, everyone wants money, fame, to be on the bestseller list, and all the other accolades one can get as a writer. There are easier and better ways to get money than writing a novel. The probability that a person will achieve the heights of Steven King, J K Rowling, et al is slim and nil.

So, write because you have to and you love doing it. That's all the reason you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment