I cruise around the blogosphere reading the blogs that I follow, checking out new ones, bookmarking the ones that I like some of which will end up on one of the sidebars. Recently I've noticed a couple of things: blogs which were hard to read because of the color scheme, links which were almost invisible because of the chosen colors, having to scroll down through a lot of stuff to find what I am looking for, and so on.
Here are a few things to consider the next time you change your blog or website design.
- A white background with black or dark letters is easier for most people to read.
- White letters on a dark background is also not hard to read, but most people prefer having a lot of white space around what they read and you can't get that with a dark background.
- Make sure the colors for your links are clearly visible.
- Put the important information near the top.
- If you like strong colors, consider using them as accents instead of background colors.
In case you didn't notice, I tweaked my layout to get my other blogs of interest up closer to the top. Now, if I could just find a better picture for my background...