Sunday, December 5, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Unfortunately, I've added another author to my used to be favorite author now I will not buy their books list.

Stephanie Laurens is the most recent addition to that list. I'm rather pissed about this one. Her earlier works particularly the Cynster novels are engaging to read. Her Bastion Club series was good, but there were large chunks of boring description that I skimmed over. Her latest endeavor is the Bride Quartet. The first three novels were okay even though there were still parts that I skimmed over. It's the last book in this series, The Reckless Bride, that has pushed me over the edge and landed her on my do not buy anymore list. By the time I got to page 149, I was so annoyed with the character's whinging and the stagnant plot that I stopped reading and started skimming to find the point where the plot started moving forward again. I skimmed up to page 300; the plot was still stagnating; so I closed the book and set it aside. I'll probably never read the rest of it. And I am really pissed about this. The only reason I read as far as I did was because it is the last book of the series and I wanted to know how it ended. I'll probably never know and I'll think two or three or four times before I buy another book written by her.

I read on some agent's blog (I can't remember who it was) that only Stephanie Laurens can get away with writing pages and pages of description. Ummm. No. She can't. And the editor and agent who let her get away with the doing this need to be beat around the head and shoulders with "The Reckless Bride."

Sigh.

Sales of books were down 17% this year and publishers wonder why...


I turned the comment moderation off as the asian spammers have been leaving me alone. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I was just in a big long discussion with some people about burning out on authors/series/books. (I've recently stopped reading--or, well, plan to stop reading, as I've already finished the latest book--the Dresden Files because it's just gotten to the point I can't take it any more. It was really frustrating, since I'd been reading the series for so long. Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I know what you mean about that. I go through periods where I only want to read thrillers, then it's fantasy, then it's romance novels, then it's non-fiction... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a taste of this not long ago with an author who has been a favorite since 1992. For the first time, I've told my hubs to NOT blindly buy me whatever is the latest Dean Koontz for Christmas. The last one was just awful. It read like two short stories that had been stretched and twisted to make one novel length story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the reason why I started writing: I was disappointed in some books and said to myself, "I could do better than that!" so I'm trying.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubrie, you're in good company. The impetus for Tolkien and Lewis to write their books was that nobody was writing the kind of books that they wanted to read. ;)

    ReplyDelete