Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snap is a Rock

A few days ago, I was surfing youtube looking for documentaries when I stumbled upon this fan video of Severus Snape set to Simon and Garfunkles "I am a Rock."



This is remarkably well done. The chosen clips match the lyrics of the song. An exception as most fan videos seem to be a mishmash of random images and clips set to the person's favorite song resulting in a total clash between sight and sound. *shudder*

Clicking through related videos, I stumbled across a rather alarming bit of Harry Potter fan fiction: Snape and Hermione in love. There's no link as I didn't see anything worth bookmarking or sharing.

I didn't know what to think about this. My first reaction was WTF? followed by "Ewwww... No! That's sick and twisted."

So of course, I had to go google it. Googling Snape and Hermione, I got a boatload of suggested completions. My search results turned up a whole community at fanfiction.net devoted to Snape and Hermione in love. And of course, mugglenet has about seven pages or more of Snape/Hermione stories. Apparently, there are quite a few people with this fantasy in their heads.

Which got me to wondering about fanfiction and how Rowling feels about this kind of thing. It's great that people love the characters so much that they envision other stories for them, but this line of story is contrary to the characters that Rowling created. And in order for it to work, the entire ending of Deathly Hallows has to be chucked out the window. It also removes Snape's motivation for everything he does throughout the series. And disregards the Hermione/Ron subplot.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. Maybe it's because these people have taken characters that I love and twisted them to fit their fantasy which is inconsistent with the way the characters are in Rowling's stories. And I really could have done without stumbling across it.

I don't have a problem with fan fiction that keeps the characters and the plots consistent with the authors intention. But fan fiction which has the characters acting inconsistently with the authors vision or rewriting the ending of the book, I can't get behind that. I think they should write their own story with their own characters.

What are your thoughts about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment