Saturday, August 1, 2009

I don't have enough stress right now so I'm switching webhosts

As the title says, I don't have enough stress or enough to do at the moment, so I decided that tonight would be a good time to switch webhosting companies. Yes, right before I launch the first issue of Emerald Tales, I am switching webhosting companies. This entails moving all of my files to the new host and setting everything up all over again. (Yes, I am being sarcastic.)

I have been using Yahoo Webhosting. They suck very rotten, smelly bananas. (My Uncle may be reading this, I must keep it cleanish.) To make a long story short, as I was in the middle of my fourth attempt at uploading the shopping cart program, Yahoo locked me out of my account because of "too much activity." That was the last straw and I picked up the phone and called Media Temple. Yes, they have 24 hour customer support with people who speak English and know what the heck they are talking about. Bing Bang Boom! I switched webhosting companies. That was 12 hours ago.

How have I spent the past 12 hours? Migrating all the files over to the new webhosting company. Forwarding all my emails to my personal AOL accounts. (I don't have to do this as I was assured by a Yahoo tech that the emails will still be there when the site gets transferred to the new webhost. But, I don't trust them.) Yahoo locked me out of forwarding the emails, too. (There is a special place in Hell for companies who aggravate me with stupid nonsense like this. Yes, I know. It's a security measure. But, their technicians have no way of overriding it. How stupid is that?)

So, I have all the files moved over. I have all the submissions and emails that I really did not want to lose forwarded to my AOL accounts. There are a few more emails that I want to forward, too. But, I've already forwarded several hundred emails and I'm tired. I've got the critical ones. (If you're going to send an email to my scribblers account, wait until after 8:00 PM Eastern time Saturday to do it. Just in case, Yahoo messes things up.) Of course, now that I have spend many hours doing all of that, Yahoo won't lose them or lock me out of them.

Yes, the magazine is finished and ready to go. As soon as control gets switched over to Media Temple which should be by 8:00 PM tonight, then I will be able to finish setting up the site and we'll be good to go. I may still make my deadline and get it up and running on the first. Wouldn't that be something? :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not techy minded; the hardest thing I've done recently is tell my netbook my full name for when I log on, so here's hoping you get all the computer geekery fixed.

    I shall now go back and read your previous blogisodes!

    I love writerly blogs...

    *is happy*

    ReplyDelete